Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Whirlpool WRF990SLAM refrigerator. I purchased it 1

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool WRF990SLAM refrigerator. I purchased it 1 month ago. I had it plugged and the water line connected. It worked fine (empty). About 12 hours after I placed items that were already cold/frozen into the refrigerator, the door ajar light came on and it alarms ever 3 minutes. I opened up all doors and closed them. No help. I depressed all 3 switches that turn on the interior lights. No help. I unplugged the unit and the alarm went away... for about 12 hours. No one opened the doors, but the alarm came back. The unit is under warranty so I called out the serviceman. He said he could not read the error codes since I had unplugged the unit. Is there a way I can silence the beeping? I have left it plugged in so he can read the error codes but the beeping is driving me crazy. Is there a way I can read these error codes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. There is a diagnostic mode used to turn on each component on the refrigerator but it does not display codes. Unplugging the refrigerator did nothing to keep the tech from checking for your problem. When you open the doors after it starts beeping do the lights come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights come on when I open the doors. If I manually depress the switches, the lights go off, so I am assuming the switches are operating correctly. I would believe the switches also interface the door ajar alarm. The technician stated when you unplug the unit, it erases the memory for the error codes. I just the the beeping to stop. Since the unit thinks the door is ajar, it will not deleive water or ice, which would lead me to the door switch that has the ice maker.

Your refrigerator has 3 door switches and the switch to deliver ice and water. There are 2 refrigerator switches an one for the freezer. If they turn off the lights when the door closes there is a different problem possibly the control. There isn't a way to permanently stop the beeping but if there is a different repair company or a different service tech you should start over with new service.

Did you get the refrigerator repaired? Do you still need help?