Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

MY STOVETOP ELEMENTS DO NOT TURN OFF CORRECTLY. DO I NEED A

Customer Question

MY STOVETOP ELEMENTS DO NOT TURN OFF CORRECTLY. DO I NEED A NEW SWITCH OR ELEMENT AND CAN MY HUSBAND - A RETIRED MECHANICAL ENGINEER DO THIS ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

This is a burner switch issue and you should be able to do that just fine, can you tell me the exact two switches on the console that do not work. I can link you the part and tell you how to get it apart as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left front (small burner) and the right front ( the wider burner) are the two that don't turn off correctly

OK on the unit which switch positions are they I believe the one is the very far right switch and the other is the second switch from the left correct? It is just they are different part numbers for all the switches.

OK I found it for you here is a link to the two switches you will need

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE SWITCH 2

You need to remove the knobs and the screw rings under the knobs to lift the plate to gain access to the burner switches, there are a couple more screws once the plate is off to get the switches out.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im confused about the way you charge. Is it 18$ extra to have a phone call? And by switches you mean the inside switch, not the knob on the console panel, am I correct? in which case I need to refer to the diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like part 54- on the company website- they are the same for all 4 locationsthe knobs are on the extreme right and left on the outside console panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like part # *****

If the site sent you something for a phone call just disregard that as yes it costs more for a phone call. The switches are attached to the burner knobs. Just slip them off, you will see a ring that you need to unscrew to then lift the trim plate where you see all the control info on to get at the switches. Here is a link so you can see it. The switches are two different part numbers depending on there location that was the reason I was asking there exact location.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pretty straightforward. When you get comfortable with my issue send me the part number you recommend and any more details for me like any suggestions on the best way to open the top, and any other tips for my husband, please let me know via email. My husband and I need to go out
Thanks,
Susan

I have told you how to get at the switches twice, with the part numbers. Not sure what else you are looking for?