Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Refrigator stopped working freezer is working fine ice build

Customer Question

refrigator stopped working freezer is working fine ice build up on freezer coils any idea what the problem is could it be the timer defrost
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If there is ice build up on the coils in the freezer, that will stop air form getting over to the refrigerator---so this is definitely your issue. You'll want to make sure the fan above the evaporator coils is running and if not, replace the fan motor. Most likely you will find that the fan is running so if that's the case, there is a defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver evaporator coils and a defrost thermostat (1" circular device) clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. You'll need a multimeter to test continuity through each part. If either part doesn't have continuity, it needs to be replaced because it's preventing the unit from defrosting. In the mean time, you can thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer and the unit will work fora bout 1-2 weeks while you wait for the replacement part to arrive.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info very helpful, I replaced the defrost thermostat approx. 3 weeks ago after the coil defrosts I will replace the defrost heater.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck to you