John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Kenmore Elite 596, just moved into the house, the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - I have a Kenmore Elite 596, just moved into the house, the previous owners bought the unit used and put it in right before we moved in. We were having trouble opening the freezer door because they had the temp at 7 (coldest) and it was freezing around the sliders. I set the temp to 3, but the ice maker is not working. I'm afraid a line froze when the setting was too low. Sorry for the long answer but it's all relevant. :-)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all the details I have
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Have you tried to defrost the entire unit and then start over with the temp setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's full of food and that would be very difficult

You would have to empty the unit out to fix it or defrost it, can you get your food into coolers or another unit?