John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

You did such a good job with my microwave issue, I've

Customer Question

Hey Folks, You did such a good job with my microwave issue, I've decided to throw you another curve with my Sub Zero Model 650 refrigerator. It works very well, except that we're not making ice any more. I've lurked around the edges of your website and
others to learn a few possible fixes, including resetting the error codes, to know that none of those work. My fridge was installed in 2006, and shortly thereafter we had a warranty visit, during which the tech replaced the ice maker. So, we've got the second
ice maker; we've already determined that the water supply and the solenoid are working just fine, due to an earlier $235.00 service call. That nice young man said that it would take about $600 to replace the inoperative ice maker, to which we said, thanks,
but no thanks. I'm in your capable hands, now. What do you suggest? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The easiest way to diagnose ice maker issues is to manually fill the ice maker mold. If it drops those cubes but does not fill, the issue is with the water fill system. If it does not drop those cubes and you are certain there is power to the ice maker, the ice maker is faulty. Try that and let me know if the cubes drop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Kelly. I manually filled the ice maker mold(and the bottom of my freezer, as well) with water. I can't be certain that there's power to the ice maker, but all the wire harnesses are connected. Ancillary question: Is the main freezer compartment drawer removable? I can't get it out, but I have removed the upper freezer tray, which also holds the ice tray. I now have an ice maker mold full of ice cubes that won't release. I bet I need a new ice maker?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like a new ice maker is going to be necessary, yes. The link below is to a replacement ice maker.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. One more question: any tricks to removing the old ice maker? It looks pretty straightforward.Thanks again,
Bill J.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Not really, just a few mounting screws and it will just unplug.