John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

, I have a Samsung rs263tdbp that quit cooling in

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Samsung rs263tdbp that quit cooling in refrigerator side. The fan is running. compressor working. No block of ice on condenser coils but heavy frost
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The heavy frost is causing the lack of air flow into the refrigerator. The frost will thaw easily by opening the doors and unplugging the appliance for 24 hours. After thawing, cooling will be restored. However, there is likely a faulty component in the defrost circuit. Do you have a meter to test with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the heater on refrigerator side and got continuity. And prior to that I let it thaw and it still didn't get cool. Frost within an hour on coils
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the frost in one small area and heavy or all across the coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heavy across all. Didn't see any on freezer side but it had been unplugged a bit before I checked that side
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If it is heavy frosting in one hour, there has to be an air leak that is causing the frost. How are the door gaskets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seem to be ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't it be defrosting anyway
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it should not frost up within an hour.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the fan running in the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well, if the fan is running and the coil is frosting, it has to be an air flow issue caused by lack of air flow somewhere. Is the frost on the coil enough to prohibit air from flowing across it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged it back in to take a picture to show you. I didn't fasten the cover all the way. Will that make a difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been plugged in about an hour. No heavy frosting. Temp about 45
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should that fan run all the time?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The fan will run when the door is shut and compressor is on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been plugged in for 2 1/2 hrs. Temp 45.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That frost is normal, is the fan running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like u said when compressor is on
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

And it still will not go below 45* F, even with the fan running and the coil cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If you are certain there is no other air blockage in the ducts, then you likely have a sensor that is shutting the cooling off prematurely. Does the display show the correct temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The display only has bars for temp. Is there a way to test these sensors?