Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

KSC23C8EYB02 refrigerator, had minor power outage last week.

Customer Question

KSC23C8EYB02 refrigerator, had minor power outage last week. When power came back on, everything came back on. Both evap fans are working, lights, etc. I can hear compressor running, but unit not cooling. I measured amp draw, compressor is only pulling 0.3A. I checked ohms 5.3 + 6.1 = 11.4 ohms, no short. Theres a distribution valve between freezer and refrigerator evaporators. Could this valve be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

It would only be the valve if the freezer is not cooling but the fresh food section is .

is that the case or ids it the entire unit not cooling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the entire unit not cooling.

ok lets feel the compressor is it warm ,hot room temperature?

And how have you verified that it is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
compressor is warm. You can hear running noice, even if i disconect condensor fan. Also, interminently, I can hear freon start traveling towards consensor coils from compressor, and that pipe gets warm. Also, pulls 0.3a

ok so the compressor is in fact running and you can hear refrigerant flowing ,but no cooling at all in either section ( freezer or Fresh food).

How old is the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5 years old

ok and do you have both sections freezer and fresh food set to the coldest settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frz is -2, refr is 34

ok if the compressor is running and you can hear refrigerant circulating it should be cooling .

If you look at the rear interior freezer wall do you see any frost or ice on the interior panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Refrigerant circulating intermittently, that's why that pipe get hot a little bit then cools down. But all this time compressor still runs. I pluged it in since yesterday morning

ok when the pipe! I assume the condenser coil gets hot are you sure you have no cooling then ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suprisingly, no cooling at all. Like I've noticed, this pipe gets hot for about 1 min, then cools down, but compressor still runs.
I've even inspected all coils, no evidence of refrigerant leaking. I mean, this thing is new. Am suprised.

Well you may not be able to visibly see the leak.

But it sure sounds as if you have a sealed system issue, either a refrigerant leak or an inefficient compressor .

I recommend that you have a EPA certified refrigerant servicer look at the unit.

I can not see if being the valve if it goes bad you should only have cooling in one section , because it just diverts the refrigerant one way or the other.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time