Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

We just moved our Maytag Centennial dryer from one room to

Customer Question

We just moved our Maytag Centennial dryer from one room to another and now the inner drum wont turn. How can I open the cabinet to troubleshoot and what should I look for once the cabinet is open?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

First have you tested the voltage at the outlet to verify that you have the required voltage for the dryer to start?

and if you open the filter door ,remove the filter ,then remove the two screws under the filter that screw into the top panel.

Once the screws are removed ,then you can use a putty knife on the front corners under the front panel to push the locking clips back to unlock the top ,raise it up like a car hood.

then on the inside of the dryer on the top corners is a screw one on each side ,remove those screws then pull out and up on the front panel and lift the front panel off ,you can either just lay the panel to the side so that the wires for the door switch ar still attached or you can also remove the leads off of the door switch mounted on the front panel.

If you have any questions just reply back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I look for once the cabinet is open?

If you start the dryer do you hear the motor running and just the drum is not turning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor sounds like it's running and the it smells like the belt might be burning.

ok so look to see if the belt is broken or if it is off either the motor pulley or the spring loaded idler pulley.

Here is a link to the balt if you do need it .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/W10198086/1481904?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time