Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I've got a Traulsen URS48DT that has a freezer side barely

Customer Question

I've got a Traulsen URS48DT that has a freezer side barely able to get down to 48F and a refrig side that is not cooling at all. I bought it running/working from a friend and then it sat for 6 months while I finished a kitchen remodel. It was moved upright, only on it's side briefly when pushed onto the truck and tipped to get under a few doorways, but sat again for a couple weeks before I plugged it in.
I've removed the front louvre to access the switches, and both switches are on. I can hear a fan and a compressor come on (at least, that's what it sounds like) when I flip each switch. I let it run for a few hours yesterday, and the fridge compartment stayed at room temp while the freezer only went to 48F. Can you guide me through troubleshooting the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

You have a freon leak, basically you have no freon left in the system. IF you were to check the evaporator you will find nothing frosty or cold at all. You need to have the unit recharged with gas.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. I would like some more information... The website made it sound like I would be talking directly to a specific expert, named Phil, so while that is not your fault, that is incredibly misleading on the part of the website. I know some technicians provide more information than others, so I had specifically responded to a page offering to talk to him for that reason. If you can provide the info I'm looking for, that would be great. Otherwise, please pass on my question to someone else.The information I would like is: How did you come to your conclusion? If it was out of freon, wouldn't the compressors shut off due to low pressure instead of keep running? How would the freezer get down to 38F if there was no freon? Are the freezer and refrigerator circuits completely separate? Does it make sense that they would both leak? And if there was a leak and I recharge it, won't the freon just leak out again? And you said to "check the evaporator" --how do I do that? Is feeling it with my hand enough or do I need to take a temperature reading. How cold does it have to be?

On the Traulsen unit there is only one evaporator that controls both sides, there is no low pressure cut off like an outside AC unit. Yes there may be a small amount of refrigerant left in the system enough to cool a rung or two on the evaporator so you would get 38 degrees in the freezer, but if you put a load on it(food in it) it would probably not even maintain that temp. You can visually just check it, but I have fixed hundreds of Traulsen units and yours is very low on freon. If you need something else just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I add freon to the unit, isn't it reasonable to think the new freon would leak out in the same way? It was working 6 months ago in a commercial kitchen with no problems, and now it's low on freon. Doesn't that mean there's a leak to fix?

Yes there is a leak so you would need to add dye in the unit to find it. It may have had a leak slow leak 6 months ago as normally it would be a low side leak, but when the unit is constantly running the leak is a lot slower since the low side pressures are far lower than when it is just sitting especially for that long.