Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in appliance repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses in England.
15468697

I have an AEG 88020 dishwasher. When I start a program it

Customer Question

I have an AEG 88020 dishwasher. When I start a program it starts to take in water until the filter compartment is full and the water barely floats over it at the bottom of the diswasher. The indicator floor light is red showing in operation. Then the mashine
stops and nothing happens. After 20-30 minues the mashine starts to beep and displays error code .20. If I manually drain the water in the dishwasher it will repeat the cycle above.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If you cancel the cycle out and start a new one the first thing it should do is drain the water out. Does it do this?

If not then if you losten very carefully at the bottom do you hear a slight humming noise there?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no sound and it does not drain the water out
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok the .20 error code is a draining fault. As its not draining then its more then likely either a blocked or faulty pump.

What you need to do is remove the outer wooden door panel and then the wooden panel at the bottom of the kitchen.

From there remove the metal panel below the door on the front at the bottom.

Then you need to scoop out all the water from inside the dishwasher fully.

Then look under the dishwasher on the far right hand side and you will see the drain pump.

This is a twist fit pump so you need to twist the pump off and clear out any debris from in there. But be careful as most of the time its glass that blocks it up.

Once its clear refit the pump and retry the dishwasher and fingers crossed this sorts the fault from there and gets it up and running again.

Try that and see how it goes and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I will try this. Open the panel below the door. I think the problem started with a full or dirty filter. If not working then possibly a faulty pump?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Yes if its all clear and its still not draining and the pump isnt running then its possibley a faulty pump here.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took out the pump. everything looked ok inside
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok does the impeller ping round ok with a bit or resistance?

If so then very carefully feel inside the chamber were the pump goes and make sure theres nothing in there as well.

If thats all clear refit the pump and retry it as somtimes the blockage falls out when you remove the pump without you seeing it as it happens alot to me.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a bit of resistance on the propeller, no the initial situation remains, it takes in water and stops,
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Ok so leave the panel off and then restart it and see if you can hear a slight humming noise from the pump. You need to listen very carefully at the pump.

If you do and the pump isnt running then the pump is faulty here and will need to be replaced.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, unable to respond before.
I am still having difficulties and error code .20. I have now tried to clean out the drainage as well as I can. Replaced the drainage pump and no luck. I have taken the machine out of the cupboard to avoid a bend in the drainage hose, unplugged the drainage hose to make sure of any blockage in the sink. The same happens: I clean out the water from the dishwasher. Then I turn it on and start program 4. It takes in water until it fills the drainage compartment inside the machine and floats barely above the drainage filter compartment. Then it stops for 4- 5 minutes and the error code .20 comes on