Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

The compressor never stops running in my kitchenaid

Customer Question

the compressor never stops running in my kitchenaid kdss48da*0#uses refrigerator but the fan is intermitant. I replaced the fan already because it was noisy. If you leave the door open for a short time the fan will come on & cool the whole box for a while,however the compressor does not shot off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
Saom of these Built in refrigerators have a variable speed compressor and the unit is designed to have the compressor running all the time except during a defrost mode.

To get the model number open the freezer door an on the rightside interior wall is the model /serial tag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial # ***** my Kitchenaid fridg is AC2700810 Type 8129 Model KSSS4BDAW01

Thank you this model does not have the variable speed compressor in fact this unit is rather old if the compressor had never been replaced before.

This unit has two fan one in the freezer and one up top which fan was it the you replaced?

And does the fan run if you have not opened the door ? can you tell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the compressor five years ago with same compressor unit as origionial. It is the fan inside the freezer that is intermittent. I know this because sometimes the fridge is cold & sometimes it is warm. When the fridge is warm and I open the freezer the fan is not running.

ok thank you!

The freezer Evap fan is controlled by an electronic control board and the control board get a signal from a sensor

Which door are you opening to get the fan to come on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn"t seem to matter. I have not been able to tell by opening either door for less than five minutes. It was only when the freezer was open for a long time that the fan came on. The fridge door was opened & shut several times at the same time. I do not think that the box is stuck in defrost but I am not positive. How do I verify this? If it is an electronic module problem, where is the module located & where can I buy one at a reasonable cost. Please give me the module part # ***** an explosion of the box & electric circuits to assist me in locating the unit & replacing it if that is the problem.

If the unit is stuck in defrost the two fans ,up top or the freezer will be on ,and the compressor will not run either ,

The unit will be more of less silent

The control board is item #3 http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00112168/680/900

here is a parts link with part number ,price and you can even order it right from this link.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper-Control-Assembly/4388656/829022?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.