Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a maytag maxima xl dryer bought last spring Model

Customer Question

I have a maytag maxima xl dryer bought last spring
Model MED6000AWO
It is making a rumbling noise and a vibration type noise. I cleaned the dryer vent of all debris and the unit says it's getting good airflow.
It is still noisy ever after I took the unit apart and vacuumed the inside. I don't know what to try next.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Where is the noise coming from?

Front .back ,top ,bottom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems more like the bottom to me,A rumbling and also a sound like very thin metal vibrating against metal

Ok so I would have to assume that the vibration is from the belt idler pulley, or possibly some type of metal panel /parts vibrating together against each other.

Which means you will need to raise the top and remove the front panel and try to figure out where the vibration is coming from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the dryer run with that front panel off? I'm wondering if it's the blower --something in thereI cleaned the vent which was very plugged.

Yes the dryer will run with the front off ,you will have to have the door switch either jumped out so it thinks the door is closed .

Or I just set the front panel to the side of the dryer with the door switch still connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I will be looking at the vent idler pulley, would those idler wheels also be suspect?I did run the dryer with top off and it looked as if the drum was turning but not as smoothly as I would've expected, by that I mean it looked like it was going up and down somewhat. I never saw a dryer on like that before so I don't know what is normal and what is not. When I first got it at the start of the summer it was quiet and did not make this rumbling and rattling noise.

the drum rollers normally do not make a metal vibrating noise if they are bad , they make a rumble noise .

And the drum is not perfectly round it will move up and down

I would think it is the idler pulley spring moving back and forth as the dryer runs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm going to try your suggestions sir. So you're thinking the first place to look is the idler pulley and the idler pulley spring. What do I look for to tell if it's bad? Could this be the source of the rumbling noise also?

check the idler pulley to make sure it is not wobbly on the idler arm shaft ,and if the spring has been stretched out it will allow for the belt to get slack when running.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time