Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore elite he5t washer f20 error but the washer is

Customer Question

kenmore elite he5t washer f20 error but the washer is getting water in (which the manual says could be the problem but isnt) what seems to be happening is I hot the drain pipe the other day and had to put it back in the drain pipe pipe and ever since its giving me the f20 error code, it seems to be trying to drain water was soon as the water starts coming into the washer, which makes the washer think its not getting enough water, I believe its possibly just a simple air/syphon issue but I have no idea how to correct that?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If it's draining the water while it's filling, this means that your drain hose is shoved too far down the stand pipe on your house. The hose just needs to be pulled up so it only goes down less than 8 inches. Then zip tie the hose to the fill hoses or something else so that the hose can't fall down or fall out of the stand pipe.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that already, still giving me the same error
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK then it's not actually draining out at the same time it's filling---nothing else would cause that condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as I am standing there as its filling, just before it gives the error f20, it very much sounds like its draining into the drain pipe just before it gives the error, then once it gives the error and pretty much shuts done, I hit the button to turn it off and the water will immediately start to drain and it makes all sorts of gurgling noises and just as you think its stopped draining, water comes back up the drain hose to the washer, i can see water standing in the pipe where it joins with the washer
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so then to be clear, it's not draining and filling at the same time. It's first filling, then it's draining and showing the F20 error correct? That is something entirely different.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a sec, let me go try it one more time and listen carefully but it does seem to be filling and trying to drain at the same time but let me check, wont take but a sec
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so I actually put my finger down into the drain and kept it over the drain pipe opening while the machine was starting to fill, it got a min into filling and stopped again f20 but NO water is coming into the drain pipe after all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but all that gurgling is a totally new sound for my washer, the drain never did that before and since I just hit the drain pipe and moved it before all this started its got to be the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read that it can lose syphon and cause an f20 error but I dont know what else to do and the area I live in is small and most techs here dont even work on front loaders
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so you just have a faulty flow meter. Behind the dispenser under the top panel of the washer is a small device which measures the water coming into the washer. Either you don't have good water pressure getting to the washer form your house, or the flow meter isn't reading the water coming into the washer so you need to make sure you have good water pressure to the washer and if so, you need to replace the flow meter. You'll need the model number located on a sticker just inside the door way to order the correct flow meter for your unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're saying it was just a super amazing coincidence that just as I hit the pipe and moved it, just after just washing a load that the flow meter went bad at the very same time?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, either that or you're not getting good water pressure to the washer anymore through the hot or cold water line. because that error F20 means that the washer doesn't think water is coming into the washer fast enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the water pressure is as usual, you can hear really gushing in, I have tried both hot and cold only so thats not the issue and I really dont think the flow meter is going to go bad at the very same instant that I bump the drain hose - weird things happen but thats too much of a coincidence
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

For you maybe. But I have already told you what else can cause it and that's the drain line being shoved too far down which you say it's not---so if you're going to discredit that possibility then the only things left are what I told you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for me maybe? not sure where you're going with that but.... see this pic, you cant see but the hose is about 5 inches down into the pipe, knowing that does this look correct?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Where I'm going with that is that I'm a technician--I see coincidences all the time since all I ever see are failed appliances. You on the other hand rarely see failed appliances.

That hose is a long hose, so where is the rest of it if it's only going down 5 inches down the pipe? If there is any question it's not routed properly, just put the hose into a 5 gallon bucket and put the bucket on the top of the washer. Start a cycle and see if you get the same error code. If not, then you know the hose is too far down the stand pipe. If you still get the error and you have good water pressure, you need to replace the pressure switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that hose isn't that long, its as long as what you can see in the pic and then about 5 inches into the drain pipe, it has rough edges as if its been cut so might have come long with the machine but its not long now - does it matter how the tube goes into the drain pipe, can it go straight down into for example, does it have to be attached as it is now because it wasnt attached before, I just dont know if the hose has to be inserted a specific way into the pipe or just as long as its in the pipe and not more than 8 inches?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The stand pipe isn't as high as it should be, so the 8 inches may not be accurate. The hose is supposed to go to the top of the washer and then down into the drain pipe. It never makes it to the top of the washer since the stand pipe is so low. Either way, as I said before you can eliminate this as a possibility by putting the hose in a 5 gallon bucket and raising it to the top of the washer. If you don't get the same F20 error, you know the way the hose is routed is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been working for years just fine until I hit the hose right so the hose used to be rounded up near the top pf the machine then into the pipe, when i put it back like that, it still wouldnt work is there any chance that there is lost suction or syphon.... as I have read else where about this error message on this machine but no one ever explains how to recreate syphon if its lost?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You haven't even tried what I said to try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the bucket, at first a good amount of water came out of the house when the washer first started then after a min the F20 happened again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hose
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect, then you know that the position of the drain hose has nothing to do with the problem. So we can ignore any possibility of that playing an issue. That leaves only a bad flow meter or the washer isn't getting good water supply from the hot or cold water hose going to the washer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the water appears to be coming in quit hard, I have cut off the hot and tried only cold setting, seems like a good a flow as always then did the same with hot only good flow there as well.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK then you just have a bad flow meter and it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I do that myself?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you are handy.