Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Refrigerator Freezer Model WRS571C1DM side-by-side bought

Customer Question

Refrigerator Freezer Model WRS571C1DM side-by-side bought and installed 10/8. After installers left, noticed air filteing unit did not have a filter (model W10311524) installed.
In fact, the rear vent opening to the filter seems to be blocked by a insulated-covered styrofoam panel.
Also, there is a slot (approximately 31/2 inch x 1 inch)in the air filter housing above this hinged opening. This slot has a fitted plug inserted. (I think it is styrofoam, but not sure).
Basically it looks as if any air flow throug the air filter has been blocked by these two pieces.
Question 1: Should these blockages have been removed and should a filter been installed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

I would look at page #11 on your use and care guide booklet regarding the air filter ,not all models have them .

If you did not get a booklet here is a link to it .

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/wrs571cidm00-whirlpool-parts-refrigerator-manual?pathRender=fromManualTabPage

If you have any question after looking at page #11 just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer does not seem to have any relataionship to the question. Perhaps I could have worded the question better, so:
Mounted on the upper, left rear wall of the refrigerator is a unit approximately 9 inches x 5 inches and which is labeled "FreshFlow". That is the air filtering unit and, yes,I have looked at page 11 multiple times over the weekend. So yes, I have an air filtering system. This is the same air filtering system which I was describing in my question, which did not seem to be clear. So, as the question stated: "There are two opening in the case of the air filtering system. Both of the openings are blocked with styrofoam-like plugs which appear to block any air flow through the air filtering system. My original question maybe should have been, "Are these plugs preventing air flow through the unt and should have been removed when the refrigerator was put in service?" Seems like a Yes or No question i.e Yes, they are blocking flow and should have been removed or No, they are not blocking flow and should be left in place. Just a YESor NO

Ok the Fresh flow IS NOT the air filter Fresh flow e air filter are two different things ,fresh flow info is on page #12

As for the styrofoam blocks there is no air flow thru the Fresh flow all it does is absorbs Ethylene

on the Fresh flow system leave the styrofoam there !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't think that we are on the same page. My page 12 (starting on page 11) describes an ethylene absorption system,
(called Produce Preserver) which is mounted inside the crisper or convertible drawer. This is an inert system which requires pouches that must be changed about every 6 months. And yes FreshFlow does make such absorption units.
However, the unit that I am discussing is mounted on the upper back side of the left interior wall of the refrigerator, a position which is described on page 10 of the manual under the section, Installing the Air Fitler. This unit does not have any place to insert pouches to absorb ethylene. It does have a hinged grate to open to insert an air filter (part W10311524) and a slot above the hinged gate. (This is exactly like the supply and return system of an HVAC system with the slot being the supply and the filter being in the return vent.) The fact that the unit that I am discussing does not have a place for pouches and is not located anywhere near the crisper drawer and does have a place for an air filter, indicates that this unit is not an passive ethylene absorbing unit but some type of active filtering device to reduce odors in general. However, I am sure that you are as tired as am I of this continuing inability to make myself understood. So just forget it.

I`m only going by what you are telling me (using the word Fresh flow)

Fresh flow is the product preserve system!

Since it is brand new unit call for service from the manufacture .