Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

I have a Wolf range (GR484CG) and a Wolf Hood (PW482718) w/

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Wolf range (GR484CG) and a Wolf Hood (PW482718) w/ a 1200 CFM internal blower. The distance from bottom of hood to counter-top is 39". The hood vent directly up and out of the wall (I think there is a single 90 deg elbow). Overall I find the
ventilation inadequate even when at full speed. When cooking greasy food (like salmon) there is a ton of smoke in the house and the fire alarm goes off a few times. For 1200 CFM and using the 100 Btu per CFM guidance the blower seems oversized. I assume this
was to compensate for the extra distance between the countertop and hood. After some reading I wondered if this is a makeup-air problem as the house is new and well sealed. However, even when I have a couple of doors open it seems to not help. What am I missing
here, how do I improve this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hello,I'm so sorry for the extended wait time, whilst I was offline. Do youstill need help with this?

Ifso, I will try to locate some information on this for you.

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help with this.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Can you check that the recirculation mode filters have been removed?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't know there were recirculating filters on this hood. Where are they? I just have the stainless steel filters from what I can see.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the grease filters, do you see the fan?

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the blower/fan
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

OK, in that cae it sounds like the carbon filters are removed

Are you able to get to the exhaust grill?

If so, do you have a good flow of air?

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's sealed l. I don't see any of the duct work or exhaust. I'm not sure how to gauge air flow
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

OK, well we need to know where the unit actually expells the air to. Then see if there is a good flow, as the ductwork may be blocked, causing poor extraction

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate myresponses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which youshould now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not thewebsite or the problems you have had with this machine.
This willnot close your question and you can still come back to me if you needmore help
Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the exhaust grill on the outside of the house and it has a flap that opens when the fan is on.I'd rather rate you at the end.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

OK

So you need to see if there is a good flow of air at the outlet