Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My old whirlpool top load washer doesnt work in any of the

Customer Question

Hi my old whirlpool top load washer doesnt work in any of the spin cycles, leaves the water in the tub, until I manually turn it back to spin, then it works
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Is you washer leaving all the water or just wet clothes? Can you supply the model number so I can be sure what design we are talking about? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the water and when I turn it back around to the spin cycle and turn that on manually, it works. Model LA5500XS

If none of the water drained out it could be the lid switch or the timer but it seems odd that it does drain out the next time you try. Is this intermittent or every time you run the washer that it won't drain itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at first intermittent, now every load
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?

Sorry I was away. Start a spin cycle with the lid up and as you lower the lid see how far away from all the way down the washer starts to run. I'm thinking the switch does not always close.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry, I dont understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see how far away from all the way down the washer starts to run? Switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, think I understand. Then why does the spin work between the wash-rinse cycle just not the final rinse-spin?

Good question. I'm not saying this is the problem but without being there I know it could be so we need to check it out. If this is not the problem we move on to a possible timer problem but that is more expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost closed before it starts doing anything

Sounds like that may be the problem. Try a load using a pencil pushed in to close the switch and if that works you will need to replace the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will give it a shot

Let me know what happens and if you need part numbers and instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Dave, didnt work

Ok, so it's not the lid switch. If it is intermittent it is likely the timer but I can't prove that. If it was the motor it would take a while to cool down after it stops. If you can go straight to a drain and get it to drain right after it quits it is not the motor. I wish I could give you something definite but with what information I have that is the best I can do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other info can I give u? It washes, spins, rinses looks like its gone through the entire cycle, but I have to go back every time, rewind the control knob back to the final spin and re-spin the last cycle.

You said it left all the water. If it drained the water and just never did spin it would be different. If it left all the water it stopped after agitation. I can't think of anything but the timer that could cause that. Is what I mentioned accurate about leaving a tub full of water?