Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Whirlpool GSX9885J Gold Series, It would stop mid

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool GSX9885J Gold Series, It would stop mid cycle full of water, I got the tech manual and performed the agitate and Drain/Spin test and discovered it can not spin or agitate on high speed, also when attempting to do so I can hear a hum and I noticed a burning electrical smell, I shut it down hopefully before any more damage was done, it does function normally on Medium and low speed test, my question is can the clutch "lockup" in just high speed or does this sound more like a motor problem? Also I have replaced the mother board and the problem did not change.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

The clutch will not cause this issue, you may have a bad capacitor for the motor or check the wiring harness that plugs into the motor, often a wire in that plug goes bad causing that issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks