MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a 14 year old GE monogram Model ZIS 36D. Recently,

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old GE monogram Model ZIS 36D. Recently, the refrigerator has stopped cooling though the freezer side works perfectly. The factory service has visited 6 times. Originally they thought it was a dirty compressor so they cleaned it. Then they applied some sealant/caulk to divider wall separating the fridge and freezer. They did not replace any parts. Nothing helped and they eventually gave up and told me I needed a new fridge, though they failed to give a reasonable explanation for what was wrong. If we leave the unit off for a day or 2 and then restart, it works perfectly for about 1 week before the refrigerator side starts warming up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You have a defrosting issue here and I cannot understand why factory service cannot figure this out as this is nothing odd. There are only a few things that make it defrost, so it is not a hard job to fix the problem. Call someone else other than GE as the tech they sent does not know what they are doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. GE's best guess was that the insulation in the panel dividing the refrigerator and freezer was wet and keeps freezing up preventing the cold air from the freezer getting to the fridge. They said that problem can't be repaired.
I just finished another repeat test. I had left the refrigerator off with the doors propped open for 1 week. I turned it back on 8 days ago. It has no problem getting cold (fridge side even got below freezing briefly) and it worked perfectly all week. Yesterday, the temperature in the refrigerator side started creeping up again. This morning the refrigerator temp is over 50F. The freezer is still cold, at 10F. If this is consistent with the "defrosting issue", how do I best explain that to a new service person. What needs to be replaced/fixed/done? Is there any additional troubleshooting I can do to diagnose the problem?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

My answer is the same. Have the repair person out when the fridge is not cooling well so they can easily observe what is causing the problem. Once the defrost issuse is determined then it is easy to figure out what needs to be replaced as only 3 parts make this defrost. I doubt the insulation theory has any bearing on the issue as the air passes thru holes in that wall.