Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

I recently lost everything in a house fire and was given a

Customer Question

I recently lost everything in a house fire and was given a fridge. When plugged in it powers on (green light) unplugged it for several minutes then same thing occurs. Do you know what could be causing this? I can't afford a new one so any info would greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Powers off after about a min or so
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Hello, How long have you plugged the unit in an outlet? Was it long enough for the compressor to run? The green light is a good sign. It means there is power. Try waiting for an hour and see if the compressor( the black steel ball at the back of the unit) would run, vibrate and would get warm.

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I answered already before you posted your second reply. So after a minute or so, the green light would turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Would this green light happened to be at the dispenser? in the freezer door?

Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Would there be interior light at first and as the green light comes off, the interior lights would come off as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have bulbs at this time
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

ok. if you can put a spare bulb, this would help me troubleshoot your unit more. Where exactly the green light is coming on? What is the label? Is it only one or two green LED?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previous owner said the lights weren't working and that's why she was getting rid of it, I believe Ice maker button
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thank you very much for those info. Now, if you can remove the back panel that is covering the compressor area, please tell me , after you plug it back, if you can see a fan motor running at the back as well as if the compressor( black steel ball) is running, or vibrating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work right now, but yes you could hear it kick on
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

That is a good sign. Try to leave it plugged in for a couple of hours and observe if you would hear a fan running inside the freezer ( you may want to observe it as soon as you open it because in some cases, the fan would stop as soon as you open the door. Then observe it also if it would start to cool down. You can leave your comments here and I will answer them as soon as I log back in later. Please bear with me to answer all your questions before giving me a rating. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK my uncle is there and said the fan is not running, compressor only kicks on if bypassed, sorry about misinformation
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

which fan is not running?..the one outside near the compressor or the one inside the freezer? Sometimes, you need to press the door switch for 20 seconds before you can hear a fan runs inside the freezer. How does he bypass the compressor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe freezer fan was working, but one in back wasn't, I'm not sure will have to ask him later since I'm at work, I will get that info to you as soon as possible
Expert:  Francis replied 1 year ago.

ok. If I am not around, Please leave your info here and I will answer it as soon as I log back in. Thank you for using this service.