Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My microwave won't heat things, is there possibly something

Customer Question

My microwave won't heat things, is there possibly something simple going on? It is 4 years old
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Does the microwave still look and act like it's working? It just doesn't heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still acts like it always did, just doesn't heat up at all
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so unfortunately this is not a simple fix. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?