Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have owned a lg refrigerator year. Every since we bought

Customer Question

we have owned a lg refrigerator for a year. Every since we bought it the ice tastes and smells like plastic.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Sometimes the plastic that is used in the units can cause that smell, I have seen some bad lines from LG as there plastic tubing can give off a weird odor. The issue is there is not much that can be done as you can only replace some of the lines, since some of them run through the wall liner. So in a nutshell there is not a lot that can be done to solve the issue other than getting a new unit or replacing as many water lines as you can on the unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like there is a chalk substance on the ice cubes. When you dispense them fromt he ice maker there are little white flakes. When you rub them between your fingers it is powdery. Could it be where the ice is make?

Are you on city or well water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
City. We also tried hooking a reverse osmosis to it and same problem. Our other frig did not do this.

Yeah its that funky plastic, I have seen it before leaving that white residue....something with the Korean plastic.