Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have decor double convection ovens about 18 years old, I

Customer Question

I have decor double convection ovens about 18 years old, I set the lower one to self clean, no problem, the next day I set the upper one to clean and after the 2 hr period the timer started beeping and flashed F2 in the timer window, had never done this before, I can't find my oven book to know what that means . I pushed cancel for the oven and the timer, it had finished it's cleaning but continued to sound like it was venting for hours and the door remains locked which keeps the lower oven from working. We knocked the breaker on it overnight and tried this morning the venting sound has stopped but the door is still locked and any buttons pushed causes F2 and f8 to flash, can you help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this error means that your oven thinks the temperature sensor has failed which is why the oven door won't unlock since it had no idea how hot the oven is inside. You would need to manually open the door which can be very difficult if you've never done it before. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can finally work on removing the sensor to test it.

Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. WIth a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the rapid response I'm not sure we will be able to accomplish what you suggested, I'll wait until my husband gets home to see if he can do this.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright, well I hope you can. Calling out a technician to do this repair will certainly cost more than $250. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.