Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Gas smell when top burner in use

Customer Question

Gas smell when top burner in use
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Are you sure it is raw gas? If you have recently painted or stained in the home that will cause and order that is often described as gas. If not let me know and we can go from there.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we think so. Local Gas Company rep told us to take top off, clean, and replace any deteriorated piping. He thought it was improper combustion but flame is blue. It's about 10 year old GE model JGBP29SEH2SS sn TF294940P and appears to be "sealed top". The local gas company guy didn't help much, because we cant remove the range top...

You would have to remove all the screws on each burner to get the top up, but this may not do you too much good as a leak would be hard to find, but if the air shutters or stuff is built up around the burner valves a good cleaning could help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not 18 + 28! .....and I can't wait for your call, because it will awaken everyone. So just check out the info you have on this gas range and tell us how to solve the problem. It has already been cleaned, as far as possible, and the burners look good. Is it a dangerous situation and should we call a local repair service? Is this typical of GE Gas ranges? It has had fairly light use. Is it typical for Local Gas Co (So Cal Gas) to not be anymore concerned or helpful in a potentially dangerous situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you quit for the night???

I am off after 12:30am I did not send you a phone call request and I am back on after 930am. Now if it was that dangerous the gas company would have red tagged it. I do not think it would be that dangerous or they would have done that. I think it will be fine to use.

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please just use the star rating system to rate my service 3 stars or higher thank you.