Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

What is the proper way to ship small frozen food containers

Customer Question

What is the proper way to ship small frozen food containers in a stereofoam cooler so it stays frozen for about three days?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

For best results, use a Styrofoam cooler, preferably at least 1.5 inches thick. Next, place one layer of coolant inside. Then place a sealed bag of meat inside the cooler, followed by another layer of coolant. Final step: Seal the cooler lid with tape, as this helps preserve the coolant (DRY ICE)...The = maximum time will be 3 days. It's important to fill the empty space inside of the cooler with either 60 lb. kraft paper or bubble wrap. The additional void fill will help keep the cold confined into one area. Use a combination of both dry ice and frozen gel packs. Place the dry ice in the bottom of the cooler, next place the frozen gel packs, put the meat on top of the frozen gel packs. Then follow the opposite pattern to the lid of the cooler (meat, frozen gel pack, dry ice, cooler lid). The dry ice will help keep the frozen gel packs cooler longer.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for the answer.
Is there possibly a youtubevideo that shows this process?
Also what big electric cooler would be strong enough to keep frozen food frozen after they have arrived in the destination? (I'll ship it in the stereofoam cooler)
Would this one keep it frozen? http://m.homedepot.com/p/Koolatron-52-qt-Krusader-Cooler-12-Volt-P85/202467910

That is a refrigerator only you would need a freezer one if you wanted to keep it frozen, that will help though if packaged good. There are really no videos for packaging this and just follow those directions and use dry ice and it will be fine for 3 days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was a little confusing for me : ( that is why I requested a video.
Are there cooler freezers out there for sale?

Yes but they are expensive you will pay $500-800 for one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way I can keep food frozen in the electric cooler? Maybe with dry ice + regular ice?

Yes just package it well with dry ice and it will stay frozen for 3-4 days