Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have an Amana built in double wall oven Model No.

Customer Question

We have an Amana built in double wall oven Model No. AO27DG1. The lower oven works fine the upper oven does not work at all - whether on manual, timed or clean. In manual mode when the upper oven is set to bake the bake light comes on bright. The lower oven is the same. In manual mode when the upper oven is set to broil the broil light comes on very faint almost out, when the lower oven is set to broil the broil light comes on bright and it works fine. I have already replaced the broiler ignitor on the upper oven - no change. Any idea what the problem could be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

From what you have described I believe you have a bad power wire or neutral wire to the upper unit, that would cause all the symptoms you have described. You would need to check the wiring very carefully Start at the power terminal block to the unit and then at the controls, you will find a bad or burned wire causing this issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please just use the star rating system to rate my service 3 stars or higher thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you but this is the first chance I have had to start looking into the problem again. I now have the oven open. The problem is that there must be 100 wire in the control assembly and its pretty hard to extend the front panel because of all the wires that are tied into it. I'll keep looking but so far I haven't seen any burnt wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have found something. Don't know if I would call it burnt but I found a wire where a piece of the insulation is gone and you can see the copper. Might that be it. It leads into the "bake" indicator light for the upper oven. If you think that is it what do I do next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found the power control box. Checked all the wires pretty thoroughly as best I could without disconnecting everything. Didn't find any burnt wires.

Yes can you upload a picture of the wiring you saw with the bare copper?