Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Iv replaced everything it says to replace but my

Customer Question

Iv replaced everything it says to replace but my refrigerator still only gets down to 40 degrees even on the coldest setting. What shoud I try next ?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Ok so the freezer is not cooling at all either correct? If so you have a sealed system issue likely you have a leak in the system and have lost most of the freon. If you remove the back panel in the freezer check the frost pattern on the evaporator coil. If only 1 or two rungs is frosty and the rest is bare aluminum you might want to start looking for a new unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the freezer is working fine..Its the refrigerator compartment thats not working right.

Ok do you have good airflow to the refrigerator? Also how are you measuring the temps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The damper is open the fan is working on the freezer side. I dont feel much air being blown through the damper though. Yes Im taking the temp it ranges between 40-45 degress. Even at the coldest setting I cant get it any coolor then that.

What are the freezer temps holding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
28-30 only have the temp dial on 6 it goes to 9..So the freezer is perfect.

OK that is not working the freezer has to be 0-5 degrees, you have a freon leak for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said the freezer is fine..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer is cold as it shoud be...Why do you think its the freon ?

Is the freezer temp 0-5 degrees?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK you said the freezer was 28-30 is the unit making ice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plenty of ice..

OK can you check the evaporator frost pattern on the unit? Something is not adding up here. Can you take a picture of the frost pattern of the evaporator with the panel removed and upload it here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did notice that the top 2 rungs on the coils were not frosted up like the others were when I removed the back panel on the freezer side. the others were frosted perfectly but not the top 2. Not sure that has anything to do with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not at home now..

Yes I am telling you you have a freon issue, you just do not have enough to cool everything down properly it is likely running all the time...this is a freon issue trust me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks..is it difficult to add freon ?

Yes you would need an access valve and scale refrigerant and gauges..as overcharging the system would be extremely easy to do as that unit only holds about 5 oz of gas.