Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a new Kenmore Elite Ultraclean Modeldishwasher. I

Customer Question

We have a new Kenmore Elite Ultraclean Model(###) ###-####dishwasher. I loaded it on Friday to start and we left for the weekend. When I opened it this morning to unload, I found it had not run. I set it to Smartwash and start. The lights came on and after several seconds went out. It would not start. I pulled out both trays to confirm nothing was blocking. I removed the bottom rack and cleaned out the filters and found pieces of a crystal glass that broke in there last week. The drain cavity was full of water. I used towels to remove the water and checked the cavity for more pieces of glass and found none. Put the filters back in. Tried to start the machine and it still won't start. The lights come on. A moment later they go off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you could have 1 of 2 problems. Either your start button on the touchpad has failed and the entire touchpad needs to be replaced, or the door latch switch doesn't think the door is shut and you need a new door latch switch. It's very easy to determine which is your problem. Just turn the dishwasher off so no lights are on at all. Next, press the start button and does the control panel light up? If not, then the touchpad doesn't recognize that you are pushing a button and the touchpad needs to be replaced because the start button has failed. If the touchpad does light up when pressing the start button, then you need to replace the door latch switch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a pretty poor excuse of an answer to my problem. I said the lights on the panel come on so a bad panel is obviously not the problem. I said it is a brand new dishwasher so I highly doubt the door lock is the problem. Also the display appears on the front and says washing, which would not occur if the lock was not engaged. I just wasted $23 and will never use this website again. I called Sears service, which I should have done in the first place.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you don't want to believe my answer, but if everything was good because it's a "brand new dishwasher", then it would obviously be running---which it's not. Good luck to you.