Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My fridgidaire side by side is not cooling properly. I can

Customer Question

My fridgidaire side by side is not cooling properly. I can hear the fan running but the freezer side does not freeze and the fridge is not nearly as cold as it should be. What is the issue and is it an expensive fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

hello , on the lower half of the freezer section ,on the rear panel,in behind the freezer baskets is there any frost build up on that rear panel ?thx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's far to warm in the freezer to even have frost.. I just looked and nothing there.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

can you verify if the compressor at the back is currently running ? as well as the fan back there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say both are running
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if both are running then you have sealed system issue , most likely a leak in the system , there isnt enough coolant to freeze or cool properly ..if it loses gas ,that is a expensive repair to try and fix ..if all fans and compressor are running and zero frost on the freezer panel ,that is a major sealed system issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I tell if it loses gas?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if you remove that lower panel in the freezer section,there is a coil there , if all are running that coil should be lightly frosted from top to bottom , if it has zero or very little frost then the fridge is leaking the coolant

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

just keep it turned on ,there is 4-6 screws and that panel pulls off ,,lower portion

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

fan is above the coil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say expensive to fix, like how much.. It's not like something a patch could fix? Sorry I know nothing about refridgerators and would love to keep this one.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

a patch wont work ..it would need to be pressurized and try and find the leak ,then weld it if it is a tubing connection ,or replace the component if it is a coil or condenser ..all that takes specialized equipment ,then if you find the leak and repaired it then you need the gas to recharge it ....and sealed system job is generally in the $500-$700 range nowadays ..and the time to try and locate a gas leak could be hours.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

thats why we want to confirm its not a defrost issue or if the compressor is definately running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I felt the compressor it felt a little warm and like it was moving a bit, or should it make some sound? The could are black and dusty
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

the compressor should be warm and vibrate slightly ..those coils are ok ..light dust wouldnt affect cooling ..if the freezer panel is checked and had no frost on the inside coils in the freezer section that would confirm it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is some frost on the top but not really on the coils
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

yes , that is a leak ..it should be frosted from top to bottom ..there isnt enough coolant left to freeze or cool properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck in whatever you decide , thx for using JA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just wondering what causes a leak
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

its just a bunch of solder connections that freeze and thaw and over time the metal corrodes and leaks same as a water tank ..solder breaks free ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted a second opinion and had someone out today to look at our fridge. He said something was plugged and fixed it and now it's working properly. I would like a refund. I appreciate your help and I understand it's hard to give correct answers when your not looking at the item in person.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

that coil didnt have any gas from your pic , i suspect he may have recharged it ..if so it will leak out eventually .the sealed system does not get plugged up..he cant say he recharged it because its against the law ..

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

you have to fix leaks nowadays and cannot recharge the system ..i know that in 6-8 months you will probably have the same issue ..sorry ..but something being "plugged up" simply doesnt happen