Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Samsung RF261BEAEBC/AA Frend Door refrigerator,

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RF261BEAEBC/AA Frend Door refrigerator, purchased in 2013. About 1 year after purchase there was a noise coming from the inside which I have traced down to ice build in the top right corner, and evaporator fan banging against this ice. Since then every few months I need to do a full defrost (shut down refrigerator and let its sit for 24 hours) to melt the ice. Ice only builds up along the top right side of the back panel. With the back panel open - and after all the ice has melted, I forced a manual defrost of the refrigerator by pressing power freeze and power cool simultaneously and then selecting "rd" mode. I can feel that the defrost heater is getting hot, but it only stays hot for about 5 minutes. I am not sure if this is normal (defrost heater switching off in 5 minutes) because there is no ice, or if this is not normal and the defrost heater is switching off too quickly.
Do I have a bad sensor, a bad heater, a back PCB, or something else. This seems like a very common issue for Samsung refrigerators because so many customers have similar ice build up issues.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It is likely an issue with the defrost sensor causing the defrost cycle to end too early. The energized time of the heater will vary but if you have ice building, it is not staying on as long as it should be. The sensor is available below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,Thank you for the response. I will replace the sensor and will check it out if it stays on for longer than 5 minutes with no ice (when I have the back panel open). The real test will be in 2-3 months to see if the problem shows up again or not.- Aspi
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You bet, keep me posted. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!