Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our GE Monogram refrigerator has suddenly had the

Customer Question

Our GE Monogram refrigerator has suddenly had the temperature drop. We noticed it yesterday when our milk was frozen. The inside refrigerator temp showed 29 degrees so we reset it to 37 degrees. Now 12 hours later the actual temp shows 27 degrees. How can we correct this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Inside the refrigerator, there is an air damper, shown as number 367 in the diagram at the link below, that has probably broken in the open position. Does the display show the correct temperature (27* F), even though the setting is programmed to 37* F?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly, we can't find 367. Is it inside the fridge or on top of the fridge?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is inside the refrigerator, at the very top, in the back left corner. It will need to be totally disassembled back there to access it. That is why I was wondering about the display. If we can go through a process of elimination, we can diagnose without having to disassemble it twice. Does the display show the correct temperature (27* F), even though the setting is programmed to 37* F?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shows 27 but is set at 37.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so from that, we know that the unit is set at 37* and the control knows that, however, it is at 27* and the control recognizes that (because it is displayed) but cannot control it. The temperature in the fresh food section is controlled by that damper opening and closing and allowing freezer air to enter. So, it would be prudent to diagnose the issue as a faulty damper. That is a very common problem with these units. The damper door pivots on two plastic pins and is easily jammed and broken. The new damper is an updated version and comes with complete installation instructions.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it in an area sealed in styrofoam and silicone? In the back top left.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is, that is why you don't want to disassemble it without the new part in hand.