Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE top load washer. The washer light goes on and

Customer Question

I have a GE top load washer. The washer light goes on and beeps but machine won't start.
I did the field test and everything was operating fine with no error messages.
Not sure what else to check
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Does the unit fill or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit does not fill or anything. When I turn it on to run a cycle the full led blinks and beeps but won't start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Similar to what happens when the door is open. I ran a field service mode and received no error on the lid switch so that seems ok.

In field service mode does the unit fill with water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Ok you may just have a bad fill valve can you check it for power? Also to test this theory put in drain/spin does the pump run and does it spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried putting it in drain/spin mode by it doesn't work either. The light goes on but that's it.

OK is there any flashing error code on the motor board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the field service mode position 1 the rinse and spin light is on but according to the field service mode sheet that is only the model code.In position one through 4 no LED lights pop up. Position 5 the rinse led is on indicating the hot water valve is active, position 6 wash led is on indicating cold water valve active. Same with positions 7-11 everything is ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought it might be the lid switch but I don't get any error message for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?

Yes for some reason my posts have not gotten to you...

Set the dial to the 9 oclock and press and hold the start button then rotate it around to the 3 oclock position and release the button all lights should light up...Rotate the knob in increments clockwise and pause it should fill in some and agitate and spin in others does it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't working out.

Would you like a phone call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not if it's $18 on top of the other fee. I'm not too happy with the help I've gotten so far. I'm in the same spot I was over two hours ago

Have you been able to look at the LED flash pattern on top of the motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the patterns all match what they are suppose to be according to the field service mode chart. No error message on any of the different modes 1-11
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've stated that 2 hours ago

But you stated in field service mode it does not do anything? No SPin no agitate no fill right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct it doesn't do anything. According to the field service sheet that was included with the washer it says that for each click there should be a corresponding LED response of either all LED off or certain LED (spin, wash, fill, rinse) lights up if there is an error or working fine. Those results are fine. But during the field test the machine doesn't operate and the manual doesn't state that it should only references the lights as diagnostics

OK but you are getting an LED indicator on the motor correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a pic of field service chart. From knob position 2-4 no LED light pops up, which indicates there is no error code and the respective price is fine

OK the important issue is does the LED on the motor ever come on, I am thinking it does not right? It should be on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a video of me running it through field service mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to send the video but it's to long. Which is the motor light?

The motor LED on the board off to the right on top of the motor, I think you either have an inline fuse that is burned out in the wire harness to the motor or that board is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor led is that inside the control panel or would that be at the bottom of the washer?

There is a control board on top of the motor of the unit not in the control panel, this is why a phone call works better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have it open and the LED light on the motor board is blinking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It blinks 10 times, stops and starts again after about 2 second puse

10 flashes- This code means there is no communication between the motor and timer/control board. If you have this code the control board is most likely the problem.

You can open and close the lid 6 times in a row fast to reset the unit.

Here is a link to the part

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the star rating link to rate my service, sorry for the issues.

Oh and disconnect the power for 30 seconds and when reconnecting the power open and close the lid 6 times within a 30 second period for the reset. Sometimes the reset will make it work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset didn't work. I will pick up a control board and let you know if that resolves the issue.

OK sounds good!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just replaced the main board and I'm still having the same issue

OK then that motor control board is bad with 10 flash error it always can be either one but normally that is the main control and is far cheaper. If you purchased it from Repairclinic.com you can send back the main control without issue and pick up the motor.

CLICK HERE