Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE profile fridge decides to leak onto the floor about

Customer Question

My GE profile fridge decides to leak onto the floor about every second day.It does not have water or an ice maker. Has been doing this for about 10 years. It was new in 2001
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So unfortunately you have a clogged defrost drain line that is what causes this issue. You will need to pull the refrigerator out and unplug the unit. Remove the lower back access panel behind the refrigerator and locate the drain hose coming down the back of the refrigerator directly in the middle. Remove the cover to access the j-loop p-trap where the drain hose is connected and remove the drain hose as well as the p-trap. Flush both of them out completely to clean them. Then re-assemble.

Now, the drain entry will also be frozen over so you can either unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours and let it thaw out on it's own, or else you need to remove everything inside the refrigerator including the crisper drawers and shelves. The floor inside the refrigerator pries out under the front lip of the divider and then you can remove the floor and the styrofoam below the floor. Now just heat up the ice below the fan in the back of the refrigerator below the floor you just removed until you can poor hot water down the drain hole and it drains down into the drain pan by the compressor and not into the freezer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?