Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My last tech was, I am still trying to diagnose the problem

Customer Question

My last tech was Kelly, I am still trying to diagnose the problem with my Viking refrigerator. There is a solenoid that opens the flap that allows ice to fall into the drink glass. Kelly had suggesed that it may be incorrect voltage to the solenoid or
a faulty solenoid. I had 3 electricians test the house voltage, as mentioned earlier, and it is correct. And today I received my 4th solenoid direct from the Viking factory along with a circuit board that controls everything. Installed them both and the solenoid
still buzzes loudly and does not open the ice flap completely. I did a Google search today for "what makes a solenoid vibratate and loudly buzz". One of the search results suggested that it may be a faulty common wire to the solenoid. Does this sound like
a possibilty to you? If so, how would I check this wire? -Dan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Did you ever test the voltage at the solenoid while buzzing? That is how you will test the "common wire to the solenoid." You should read 120 VAC at the solenoid, do you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly, yes I just now carefully checked to voltage at the solenoid while it was buzzing. It reads a little over 120 volts. The same voltage measurement as the other electrical outlets in the house.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No other explanation, it has to be a mechanical issue then if it is not opening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the mechanicals including plastic hinge, spring and door flap housing that holds the solenoid have all been replaced too. The only mechanical part that wasn't replaced was the 2 inch diameter flap door itself. I did notice that a very small plastic piece that helps to secure the door to the hinge did chip off, but this doesn't seem to cause a problem becuase there are still three other plastic keepers securing the door flap. However, I am going to order a new door flap today from Viking. I suppose it is remotely possible that the door may be vibrating and causing the loud buzzing noise. By the way, I have receipts for all of these parts if you need to see them, including the electricians and Viking service calls. I apppreciate your persistance, but in the meantime while I wait for delivery of the flap, is there anyone else on your team that you might consult with that has more experience with Viking refrigerators, specifically ice dispensers?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I will be happy to open up your question for others. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly, I just noticed another pending charge of $28 on my Visa card for JustAnswer today. My original and only case has not been solved by you yet and I am still trying the last solution that you have given me which involves one last mechanical piece which is the door flap itself. As you know, none of your answers have helped so far. Please check into this charge so I don't have to block JustAnswer from my Visa account. At present, I do not plan on disputing the first charge from months ago because you spent a considerable amount of time trying to provide an answer. I am currently still waiting for the door flap part from Viking. If this replacement part eliminates the noise, I will let you know. But, I doubt it will.