Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The downdraft exhaust stack on myThermador SGSX365CS top is

Customer Question

The downdraft exhaust stack on myThermador SGSX365CS cook top is stuck in full open position. If power switch is activated, the unit groans loudly for 2 seconds, then goes silent. This will go on repeatedly if I unplug & plug in unit. The blower works fine. It's possible a heavy object was placed on the power switch before said problem. I'm pretty handy with tools. Is this something that can be repaired at home? How much disassembly would be required?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The groaning is probably the motor trying to start and then shutting off on the overload. Can you tell if the linkage that drives the vent up and down is jammed or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to identify linkage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, there is no linkage but there is a vertical worm gear. It's almost impossible to get access to this beast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The worm gear is frozen. Can't tell where the bind is located
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you double check that model number? For some reason I am not able to locate the service information or even parts lookup on the one posted.