Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a Lavamat W 1250 washing machine. Works great. All

Customer Question

Hi, we have a Lavamat W 1250 washing machine. Works great.
All of a sudden, when starting the wash cycle, the pre-wash soap dispenser channel is cleared with water, but the main soap dispenser channel receives no water.
Instead there is the sound of air, or a sucking sound, and this continues for at least 60 seconds, when I stopped the machine. No water comes out, soap channel remains dry.
However....the main wash drum does receive water.so the main inlet hose is not blocked.
Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect you may have a faulty water solenoid. Does it hum in the area where the water lines are connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,I have diagnosed the problem as a mechanical failure of the water valve assembly, not electrical. However, it's not definitive as I have not eliminated the possibility of an electrical failure, but mechanical seems more likely.1) There is no buzzing when the solenoid is active. When active, each solenoid shows 240VAC across the terminals when active - first for fabric softener, then for main soap.2) There is a rushing sound when the solenoid is active, which turns out to the the water being bypassed by the valve into the main drum, rather than into the soap dispenser. In fact, you could feel the rushing water in the main throat of the water pipe dispensing water into the drum. That water should have rushed through the soap dispenser first.3) Using calcium lime-dissolver (called CLR here in Canada / US) was ineffective. (placed whole valve in solution, not allowing solution to touch any part of relay, then washed it thoroughly, once again keeping water away from solenoid. However, once again not definitive, as the solenoid could have been faulty, or the solenoid could have been calcified into the closed position.4) Found a great video showing how to pry off the solenoids, which can't be disassembled as is the case with some manufacturers, on Youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhnfLV_mrg
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I would never recommend disassembling the water valve. The money you save on a new valve will seem very small in comparison to the amount of damage a water leak can cause. I would replace the valve.