Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an Asko dishwasher model D3531 (about 8 years old).

Customer Question

I have an Asko dishwasher model D3531 (about 8 years old). The lower arm does not spin.
I have removed it and made sure that there are no clogs in the arm itself.
Also, the filters in the bottom of the pan (all 2-3 of them) have been cleaned.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If you are certain the arm is not moving, the recirculation motor is probably at fault or the water level is too low. How are you determining that it is not moving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response.I placed the lower arm in a specific position and started a cycle. I then opened the door quickly to see if I could see the arm moving. I could not see it moving, but it was in the same position as when I closed the door and began the cycle.I repeated the above 4 times all with the same result, I could not see it moving and it had not changed positions.The upper arm seems to work ok. Does that mean anything as it relates to diagnosing low water or recirculation motor?Todd
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Place four bowls in the lower rack, one in each corner. Turn them up so they catch water. Start the dishwasher and allow about 1 minute after the unit starts washing. Do the bowls fill up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will try that tonight and post the results.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Put 4 bowls in, let it run for about a minute...and all the bowls are full.
Also, there was no noise that would indicate the lower arm was trying to rotate.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the bowls are all full, the arm has to be moving. Are you seeing dirty dishes on the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dirty dishes on the bottom.I ran the test 2 times. Both times the bowls filled up.The lower arm has not moved from a position parallel with the door since I first moved it. So that would be 6 cycles that the lower arm has stopped in exactly the same position.I do believe the upper arm is moving. Can't the bowls fill up from the overspray from the top arm moving?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but not usually in a minute's time. If the top arm is moving, the issue is likely with the arm itself. If you add water after it starts washing, does it seem to move then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean actually take a container and pour more water in to the basin?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yes, add about 1/2 gallon or so and see if anything changes. Low water level can cause the issue you are seeing but usually with the top spray arm.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If extra water does not help, then the diverter that adjusts between the top and bottom arms is likely faulty and will need to be replaced.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Due to the restrictions of my day job, I will have to wait until tonight and update the case then.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That will be just fine, thank you. Have a great day at work!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I added a little over 1/2 gallon to the basin and started a cycle.The lower arm is still not moving from the original position. I cancelled the cycle and let the machine drain and powered the dishwasher off.I repeated the test and moved the lower arm to a different specific position, added the 1/2 gallon of water and started the cycle. Several minutes later, the lower arm was in the same position.So it appears that the water level does not make a difference in moving the lower arm.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that diverter motor will likely need to be replaced then.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE