Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Panasonic Inverter microwave oven. We tried to

Customer Question

We have a Panasonic Inverter microwave oven. We tried to heat up something that had a foil bowl, but was supposed to be microwave safe, as long as it was heated in the cardboard container. The oven stopped after about 3 minutes. We could not restart it. When we try to use it, we are getting a code H98, and it does not start.
The operating instructions state that H98 indicates a problem with the microwave generation system, and we should contact an authorized Service Center.
Can I do something the repair the unit myself? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. So H98 is probably the most common issue that Panasonic microwaves get.

So it sounds like you're on the right track. H98 can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up. Given the way that the error occurred with foil being inside the cavity, I would imagine that the magnetron is the faulty part and that is the part I would replace first. Below is a link to the part and it's about $110 so I'm not sure if the unit is worth fixing or not but that's completely up to you.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?