Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have an lg refrigerator side by side and need to replace

Customer Question

I have an lg refrigerator side by side and need to replace the water tank as it has cracked. Is there a manual or directions on how to replace this part? The most difficult part looks like dealing with the short water tube that runs from the tank into the dispenser on the front of the refrigerator.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

What part number did you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4839jj2005b

OK if I were you I would just get a couple quick connectors instead of trying to feed that whole coil through since the tubing does not go bad. Just clip the tubing off right close to the old tank, clip the new tubing off about 1-2 feet to give you some room to work and quick connect the lines using the quick connectors...you can get them at a hardware store...much faster and way less headaches.

We are on the honor system for our work, so please use the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's only maybe 5 inches of tubing before in goes into the door

Yes that is more then plenty to use a quick connector...just get these at the hardware store...cut off some of the tubing off the bad one...just a small piece to make sure you get the right size...should be 1/4" or 5/16"

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get the other connecting part (on top of the tank) off from the connector? Is that something that slides out or does it unscrew?

OK at this link on the picture which one are you having issue with?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Yes, that's the part. As I understand from your earlier suggestion, you are saying to cut the tube near the tank and get a connector for and connect the old tubing that's currently in the door to the new tank. Is that right? The part I'm having the issue with is the part in the picture that has the red cap on it. In the refrigerator, it looks like the "boy" part connects into an something that seems sealed pretty tight. Do I just pull that out or unscrew it?

That should be screwed on. That should be a screw on connector at the male nipple on the tank...not a pull out... and yes just clip the tubing off close and use and inline splice or just remove the BLUE tubing off the quick connector on the tank and if there is enough old line just slip it into the elbow connector then you do not even need to get a quick connector as long as you have enough slack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The male nipple on the tank is smooth, with no ridges. Would that still be a screw in? Also, for the connector for the blue tubing at the elbow there appears to be a red colored clasp of sorts that seems to connect the tube to the elbow. Can I just pull the blue tubing out or should I try to crack the red clasp?

You press the collar in on the elbow while pulling on the tube to release it. On the new tank under the red cap if that is smooth it should slip into to another quick connector on the unit, you just need to push on the collars on the connectors while pulling back the opposite way on the tubing or tank to remove them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think I've got it. Working on it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Working on it now

Ok just let me know if you need more help