Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a G E profile gas stovetop, and the ignitor wont shut

Customer Question

I have a G E profile gas stovetop , and the ignitor wont shut off. The burner still works
bu cant get it to stop. We have tried to turn the power off to the ignitor, but it will shut off
while the power is off. Can you help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the cooktop burners just keep sparking, it means that one of your spark switches below one of the knobs has shorted out and failed. You'll want to just unplug the unit for 24 hours in case water somehow got down below/behind the knobs and dripped onto the switches causing the issue. If you let it dry out it will often times start working normally again. If that doesn't work, then you just have to replace the faulty spark switch because it think you're knob is turned on all the time even though it's not.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?