Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire side-by-side Professional Series

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire side-by-side Professional Series refrigerator/freezer. The ice maker is doing strange things after I pull the ice collecting bin out and dump it. When I shove the empty bin back into place, the ice maker may resume making ice uninterrupted. Or it may refuse to make ice. It seems (??) to have something to do with how the tray is reinserted. I've tried fiddling with the swing arm that indicates a full bin, but that doesn't help. I don't know what it is, but if I keep pulling the tray out and reinserting it, it will eventually make ice normally. This may take several days, but when the unit finally engages, it makes a ton of ice. I'm inclined to replace the ice maker, but I want an expert opinion: is that the first option to try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The bucket itself has no bearing on how the icemaker functions. You should be able to remove the bucket and it would still make ice---of course it would dump all over the freezer, but it would still make ice. Either way, if the ice is intermittent something is going on with the arm of the icemaker or the contact inside the head of the icemaker and removing the bucket and re-installing it might move the arm to get it working again sometimes. Either way, the icemaker itself would need to be replaced if the issue is intermittent.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?