Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

GE Oven JKP13GP 21 years old not baking GE wall oven

Customer Question

GE Oven JKP13GP 21 years old not baking
GE wall oven (single, self clean) model JKP13G0P4BG (or JKP13GP4BG), (21 years old).
Baking element: not heating, not baking.
Broil element/broil function working fine.
Display and control panel including touch pad seem to work fine.
1. Removed old baking element. The sheath looks good but one of the element lead connectors was black, and a 2mm – 3mm portion of the pink solid electric insulation on the baking element lead (at the end of the sheath and inside the sheath) between the sheath and the coil wire was damaged, (2-3mm portion of that solid insulation crumbled from heat (?) and missing). I measured continuity and the resistance of the old baking element and it indicated continuous and 29 ohm resistance, which is normal at ~ room temperature.
Due to the damaged short portion of the solid electric insulation on the old baking element, I replaced the old baking element with a new one. The new baking element measures 29
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

You need to get the control board out and check the back side of the BAKE relay on the board. The relay or the solder joint is bad on the relay, the control is no longer available so give that a try.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please Note: This Just Answer service is not satisfactory, is incomplete and meaningless - Dispute any charges for it.The response from the "expert" Appliance Guru is not meaningful and is not useful. I contacted the "expert" Appliance Guru and indicated that the question he was responding to (as was posted on your site in the "Customer Question") was only partial and included only 1/3 of my whole question that I actually submitted to Just Answer ... only partial information was considered. I requested that he consider the full question including testing information that I submitted and then respond using that info. The expert neglected to respond and his meaningless response is useless. Therefore, I refuse the charges on my credit card and dispute any associated charges for unsatisfactory service/information

Well sir you are a bit ridiculous, given the unit is 21 years old the parts are not available and my diagnosis will actually be correct. Since you seem to indicate my meaningless and useless response, which by the way why are you on here asking about this if since you obviously are smarter than me about it? What does a 20 year plus tech that still actively does it for a living know? I guess not as much as you do! Given the value of the question you could buy a Happy Meal at McDonalds for it, so you can have you 5 dollars back and I think you got way more than your fair share of value for the question. Call out a tech at 100 dollars just for the call and I guarantee my $5 diagnosis that you did not even pay for will be correct, so please post back when that happens as I would love to hear from you about it. The simple fact is you can not get parts nor even have the capability to repair it so who really here is useless? I do this for a living sir and my diagnosis is correct. Take care!