Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Whirlpool duet washer. Recently we noticed that

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool duet washer. Recently we noticed that overnight the tub fills with some water and there is leaking onto the floor (not sure where that is coming from). We have turned the water off so it is not the inlet valve. We have run the drain/spin cycle with the water turned off and it appears to drain (I can hear water running in the drainage hose). However, in a few hours the water is back in the drum and on the floor. We have done all of the above AND unplugged the power supply.... still the water ghost reappears.
I recently, cleaned the drain b/c we had an issue with the machine not spinning and all was well .... for a while. It seems to me this is a draining issue of sorts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

The inlet valve is the issue here. Water can only come from one source unless your drain hose does not have a siphon break and you have it sealed in a drain where it is siphoning water back into the machine. That is the only two options here. Check the drain hose it has to have a siphon break meaning it is not sealed or the end is in water all the time or that could happen.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but it is not the inlet valve. As I stated in my initial question, the water supply is off. I've done the research. We've even disconnected the water supply hose. The problem still persists. I am thinking this is the siphon break seal after more investigation online and inspection. I was hoping that for the $60 I might get a more detailed description on how this was happening. I could've bought the part for that. My fault,not yours.

Did you read my response? It appears that you did not, there is only two places water can come from either the fill valve or water from the drain hose. I am not sure what response you are looking for? Either the drain hose is sealed in a line or sitting in water or it is not, which it should not be. The issue you have is not complicated by any means, so really it is only one of the two issues. We are only paid a small portion of whatever you paid, so if you paid 60 that is not even close to what I will get. Further this question really has only two possibilities one which you say you have shut off so it only leaves the drain hose. Water just cannot appear by itself. I read your question and saw you stated that it was off, but I was telling you those are the only two possibilities. just FYI

Lastly I am not paid anything at all without a rating of 3 stars or higher so I may have done this for free unless you rate me.