Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The ice maker on my Jenn-Air model JRTD-229 is leaking.

Customer Question

Hi - the ice maker on my Jenn-Air model JRTD-229 is leaking.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Is the icemaker overfilling? Or is the trough iced over and water can not enter the icemaker so it just flows over into the ice bin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first symptom was that the ice screw was frozen solid into the bottom of the ice tray, so I had to release it. That was yesterday.Then, it continued to produce ice, but the icemaker oveflowed into the ice tray, which didn't freeze solid like before, but instead overflowed and leaked through the ice maker port in the door. So yes, it seems that it's just overfilling.

OK if it is just overfilling you probably just have a bad icemaker. That is common where it can start to fill for too long. The valve could be bad, but not common for that issue as it is shutting off. Just get a new icemaker for the unit that happens a lot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the valve about a year ago - it had frozen and cracked. So you're suggesting a new ice maker.
E.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/D7824706Q-Refrigerator-Icemaker-for-Maytag-Amana-Jenn-Air-Whirlpool-61005508-/161813659050?

Yes exactly!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I will buy this and install it and let you know.

OK no problem

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay - will do.

Thanks!