Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I need to bypass the lid lock until parts arrive on a maytag

Customer Question

hi i need to bypass the lid lock until parts arrive on a maytag centineal
Have 2 kids under 3 and we need to wash today lol
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Does the lid lock have 4 wires? Re, White, Blue and Yellow?

Re was a typo and should be Red.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the yellow is not used for either switch but putting the red, white and blue together would bypass both switches. After you run one cycle you would need to unplug the washer for 30 seconds before it will let you start the next cycle since it never saw the lid open to remove the wash. I can't recommend bypassing this for safety reasons as I'm sure you understand, but I am answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I leave it all connected at the control panel except for the yellow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tied blue, red, and white together using a wire nut but machine wouldn't do anything

You need to do this on the wires coming from the control, not the ones that go to the lock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
leave the connector attached to the control panel that goes to lock and tie lines together by the lock?

It wouldn't matter where you put the wires together as long as at the end they are still connected to the control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill give that a shot

Ok, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just hear a clicking at control panel now and sensing and locking lights are flashing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now after i have unplugged it and plug back back in, the lid lock light wont stop flashing and the control panel wont stop clicking.

You have other problems. What was the original problem? Did you test the lid lock to determine it was bad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just stopped working the other day. and would just click on the lock and the lock wouldnt engage so it wont go into a cycle

This will take some skill to determine the problem and maybe a meter. Diagnostics should tell us what is wrong. Here are the steps with a video to see first to get you ready. Let me know what code you get.

Diagnostic video link

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.

Were you able to do diagnostics and read the codes?

Are you still there? Can you update so we can continue?