Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a two belt Maytag machine. The drive belt does not

Customer Question

I have a two belt Maytag machine. The drive belt does not work. Is there a solution to this problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

If you remove the belts does the large center pulley turn freely by hand in both directions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turning clockwise was hard to turn. Counterclockwise was easy.

Yes this is common the upper bearing on the transmission is dry and seizing, the only option is to rebuild the transmission or flip the machine upside down for 4-6 hours to allow the transmission fluid to saturate the bearing then rotate the pulley until it is free. It works nearly every time, it is just awkward to do.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks