Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My ge stand up frost free freezer started smelling like

Customer Question

My ge stand up frost free freezer started smelling like burning rubber. We took moved it back from the wall and a some white smoke was coming out. id like to try to repair it with some help if possible. Any ideas on what the problem is or what to do to figure it out?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Can you go behind the unit and see if the condenser fan and compressor are running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have it running because we unplugged it when it started smoking. do i need to have it running to diagnose it? I can plug it back in to see if i need to.

Ok was it smoking inside or out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was smoking outside the back where it is open.

Ok can you remove the back to inspect it, I would say the compressor relay on the left side of the compressor may have melted and started on fire...that would be my guess. If that happened it probably damaged the compressor pins or the compressor is bad and then it would not be worth fixing. I have seen that many times...check it out and see.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks