Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Maytag washer model #MAV7600AWW, SN. We moved the

Customer Question

I have a Maytag washer model #MAV7600AWW, SN###-##-####. We moved the washer on sliders and had new carpet installed. We moved the washer back to it's original location and leveled it in. When the washer goes into the spin cycle, it shakes violently. The machine is level, the tub springs are intact and we can see no reason for the shaking. Pressing down on any corner of the washer makes no difference in the shaking. We also tried placing 1/2 inch plywood under the washer thinking that sitting on the carpet might have been an issue (even though it sat on the old carpet) and it made no difference. Please advise as to what might be causing this problem. Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

Was a new carpet pad install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new padding is 3/8 inch thick or less. The washer does not rock on the carpet when the corners of the machine are pressed.

If it shakes like that the only thing that would cause that is a cushioning effect. If the cabinet can move even 1/8" from the padding the machines outer cabinet will start to move opposite of the inner drum with suspension, this amplifies the shaking and the unit will bounce all over the place.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not satisfied with your response as it did nothing to resolve my issue. I have leveled the washer numerous times to no avail. I will be requesting a refund of my payment.

I understand, but in then end you will discover I am correct. The unit needs to be on a secure floor with no padding. Your old carpet and padding were beaten down that is why it worked, think about it the only thing you changed was carpet. I understand you are not happy, but the answer is correct on this, I work on these for a living...I know what I am talking about. Take care and I wish you the best of luck with it.