Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a maytag mah5500bww. 'Neptune' front washer

Customer Question

Hello, I have a maytag mah5500bww. 'Neptune' front washer After my dad stored it for about 7 yrs when my sister gave up on it, we got it out to see if we could fix it so my daughter could use while in college We found a penny in drain tube near pump....
Took it out, ran it through a few cycles & all was good Then my daughter told me washer was flooding her basement Finally got it home to check it out..... The washer fills non- stop until the wash cycle is over.... The tub gets so full, that water leaks out
the front door Once the water drains, and the washer rotates one way then the other for the rinse cycle..... The machine throws code 'nf' & no water comes in for the rinse cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

the error code of NF is a no fill ,which would make sense ,that id continues to fill.

I recommend replacing the water level pressure switch .

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Pressure-Switch/12001891/997825?rcaid=1000070

The part comes up as a Whirlpool part because Whirlpool now owns Maytag.
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply, I have done some research & it sounds like it is the culprit.... Picture if the part looks like rust colored 50 cent size thing with place for a tube to connectI have the front, the back, and top off this washer and cannot find this anywhere..... Even took back off control board looking for it.Where is it ?

it is located in the console ,just remove the screws on the rear of the console and the rear inspection cover just folds down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Might have answered my own question... Think it sits on top of the pump housing... Down under the washer drum.... I will go loo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found it. It is pale green & white, little tricky to get it loose

it just sits on that clip with a friction connection just rock it back and fourth it should just pop off the bracket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rather than having a tube attached to it, the little port feeds down into a short piece of bigger hose that tees upward from pump tubing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take the clamp off that short piece and see if it's dirty in there or if something could be clogging this ?

if anything blow into the tube that goes into the tub !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I took that little 'nub' of a hose off and wiped it out, was slimy, but no reason to think obstructed.I took the pressure switch and gently blew into it then sucked back on it..... Nothing at first. But then could hear a little bladder like valve engaging when I blew in on it.Put it back on washer and ran the washer through a quick cycle & yippee ! ... It worksShould I be cautiously optimistic & order a new switch anyway ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I lay the drain hose down, water drains from it, even if pump not running..... Like its letting water out of the drumIs this normal? does the drain line have to be elevated for proper functioning ?

as long as it is working ,I see no reason to replace it ,I would blow back into the hose when the washer is empty if it was slimy water has gotten up into the hose.

no water should be in the hose only air should be in the hose to the pressure switch.

and yes if you set the drain hose lower the the water level in the washer it will gravity drain ,the pump does not have to be running for that to happen.

Yes the end of the drain line has to be 21 inches off the floor .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to send u pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can see is set up little different than typical, is no hose to blow on

Ok I got it1

In the picture I see the pump and the overflow pressure switch !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tail of pressure switch sticks down into the black tube with big 'squeeze' clamp around itI assume air pressure builds up there and activates the switch. ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully water is not getting in there

if it was slimy on the hose then water has gotten into the hose.

Air will not cause slim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some sort of check valve there that stops water ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It 'tees' right off the line to the pump

no there is no check valve. should just be the line to the tub.

Do you still need assistance with this question?

If not , I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

please do not forget to rate me!