Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I own a Whirpool Cabrio Platinum top loading washer. Serial

Customer Question

Hi there! I own a Whirpool Cabrio Platinum top loading washer. Serial number c34771695. Type 580. Model number wte8000bwo. Recently, while washing a comforter and some pillow cases, the UL (unbalanced?) alarm code appeared and stopped the washer. After removing the heavy comforter and evenly distributing the rest of the weight, the washer makes strange "grinding" noises when we attempt to run a normal cycle, and also vibrates violently, causing the machine to jerk around and move on the floor. Can you please tell me if there's an way I can troubleshoot this, or what my next step should be? Thanks in advance!
Also, not sure if this is normal, but there seems to be water somewhere under the drum. I can hear it slosh around when I move the drum.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The water is not under the drum it is on the top of the inner basket/drum it is the balance ring. that water sloshing noise is normal.

Can you tell where the grinding noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, this is embarassing. Last night was when it was being unruly. I tested it numerous times last night, and each time it did the same thing, clothes or no clothes. It would start vibrating and walk around. I just tried it again 15 minutes ago with a few clothes, and it's running smoothly still. Not sure what has changed. But, while I have you, the grinding seemed to come from underneath, where the motor is. Directly underneath the drum. I got under it to look for an anomalies, but everything looked fine. (Although I am no pro) If this happens again, what is the best thing to do?

I assume that the out of balance may have moved the wire harness so that it was rubbing against the motor rotor assembly . but only guessing .

and I suggest large items like comforters should be taken to the laundry mat , this design of washer will not handle it .

Not the best design washer that whirlpool has come up with in the last 20 years.

If it happens again ,look under it to see if you can see where the noise is coming from and go from there.

Us it now if you have any issue just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Do you still need assistance with this question?

Please do not forget to rate me!