Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Whirlpool dishwasher refuses to run the cycle I've

Customer Question

Hi! My Whirlpool dishwasher refuses to run the cycle I've selected. When I close the door and press start, the clear/drain light automatically switches on and it starts trying to drain. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the unit goes directly into the drain and spin cycle, your control board on your dishwasher has just started acting up. First, try to flip the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher for 60 seconds to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't work, try to reset the board. To reset the board, turn the dishwasher off. Chose any 3 buttons on the control panel. Press them in the following sequence, 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between each button push. All the lights will go solid, then you press cancel to reset the board.

Now if none of that works, below is a link to the control board inside your door you'd need to order and replace to resolve the issue.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have reset the circuit breaker and did the buttons yesterday after reading previous answers. Guess I need to order the circuit board. Does this go out frequently on this model, if you know? We've only had the dishwasher for a few years.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the control board and the touchpad go out quite frequently on all the newer Whirlpool model dishwashers. My company doesn't recommend buying Whirlpool dishwashers anymore as of about 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Help! I have the front of my dishwasher off but can find the screws to remove the old control board. What am I missing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There are no screws holding it on. It just unclips and the slide to the left in that picture and off.